Studying Psychology

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Smith
Lulu

Studying Psychology

Post by Smith »

For various reasons, I now have to study psychology. One of my teammates did pretty much only used protobowl, and he's pretty good (weird how that happened) but i'm wondering if anyone would suggest any books or any other methods to get good and real psych knowledge.
Duncan McCallum
Lexington High School '16
Dartmouth College '20
heterodyne
Rikku

Re: Studying Psychology

Post by heterodyne »

Smith wrote:For various reasons, I now have to study psychology. One of my teammates did pretty much only used protobowl, and he's pretty good (weird how that happened) but i'm wondering if anyone would suggest any books or any other methods to get good and real psych knowledge.
If you can get your hands on an AP Psych textbook and read it, cross referencing it with something like quinterest, you should learn some things. Your psych teacher might be willing to lend you one. The hs psych canon is fairly small. Learn a couple of experiments and people in depth and you should be set.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

My AP Psychology book and class still gets me some good psych buzzes at the college level. We used Zimbardo's Psychology: Core Concepts. We also had to read some articles about famous experiments, if you have access to something like JSTOR that allows you to read academic articles that might come in handy as well.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

Basically what everyone's said so far.
1. Studying packets to get an idea of the HS canon and what famous experiments/terms you should focus on below
2. Reading AP textbook to get an overview of the subject
3. Reading primary articles of the experiments to definitively lock those experiments down, and maybe even all the experiments by a psychologist to lock the psychologist down (though hs qb does have a proclivity for asking stupid stuff grabbed straight from wikpedia when it shouldn't be...)
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

Oh, and I highly recommend reading Zimbardo's textbook if only to read his description of the Stanford prison experiment.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM