2012 SCT Repeat/feng shui issues here

Old college threads.

2012 SCT Repeat/feng shui issues here

Postby theMoMA » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:46 pm

NAQT is constantly trying to get better at eliminating weird packet issues. Unlike submitted tournaments, which are inherently self-policing (Mike, don't write that lit bonus on the Odyssey; Greek epics already come up in the myth section of our packet!), NAQT's packets are automatically generated by Ginseng. Ginseng is supposed to catch repeats automatically, but sometimes it's thrown for a loop.

When I was reading the set, here are the things I noticed:

Two mentions of Enrico Fermi/atomic chain reactions in one packet.
Two mentions of philosopher kings from the Republic (not in same packet).
Two tossups on circa 1960 Cold War incidents in the same packet.
Two bonus parts on the Biblical Matthew in the same packet.
Multiple bonus parts on "calcium," two of which used the same "muscle contraction" clue.

There may have been a couple others. Anyway, if you could help us by pointing them out here, I'd appreciate it. We did our best to go through the packets and catch all of these things, but sometimes things sneak through the cracks.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Chief admin
User avatar
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator
 
Posts: 4590
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:00 am

Re: Repeat/feng shui issues here

Postby theMoMA » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:48 pm

I will also add that we approached this set from the perspective that an answer or a topic could come up multiple times as long as clues were not repeated (in other words, we didn't want players learning what to buzz on/answer from a previous question). So, though there were two tossups that tested for knowledge of Washington Irving, and two bonus prompts on Sir Philip Sidney, that's not the sort of repeat issue we're concerned about (so long as clues were not repeated).
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Chief admin
User avatar
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator
 
Posts: 4590
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:00 am

Re: Repeat/feng shui issues here

Postby Mike Bentley » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:53 pm

I believe the first DII packet had two questions on Gilbert and Sullivan operas.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Host of the Quizbowl Cast, a Quizbowl Podcast.
Visit Wastebin, a trash packet archive.
User avatar
Mike Bentley
groom of totemic guanacos
 
Posts: 4510
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:03 pm
Location: Bellevue, WA

Re: Repeat/feng shui issues here

Postby Fake 4-ball » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:05 pm

theMoMA wrote:I will also add that we approached this set from the perspective that an answer or a topic could come up multiple times as long as clues were not repeated (in other words, we didn't want players learning what to buzz on/answer from a previous question). So, though there were two tossups that tested for knowledge of Washington Irving, and two bonus prompts on Sir Philip Sidney, that's not the sort of repeat issue we're concerned about (so long as clues were not repeated).

Ah, that would explain "The Bells" and the story-oriented Edgar Allen Poe toss-up in different packets.
Last edited by Fake 4-ball on Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14
Wandering hobo '??
Anonymous wrote:naqt is much worse than plagiarism could ever hope to be
User avatar
Fake 4-ball
torrent of sunbursts
 
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: Repeat/feng shui issues here

Postby jonah » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:16 pm

Production of Watchmen wrote:Ah, that would explain "The Bells", The Picture of Dorian Gray, and the general Edgar Allen Poe toss-ups in DII.
How is Dorian Gray relevant?
Jonah Greenthal
NAQT (member, webmaster, mathematics editor, packet set editor)
IHSSBCA
Formerly New Trier, Illinois, UChicago, St. Ignatius, Loyola Academy
jonah
groom of totemic guanacos
 
Posts: 1859
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:51 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Repeat/feng shui issues here

Postby theMoMA » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:31 pm

I should add that I didn't contribute to the DII set (except to the extent that questions I edited were converted for DII use).
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Chief admin
User avatar
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator
 
Posts: 4590
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:00 am

Re: Repeat/feng shui issues here

Postby Madagascar Serpent Eagle » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:43 pm

I played DII, so move this post if you want, but I recall four or five rounds where afterwards I wondered if there had been a physics tossup. Did anyone else notice this in DII? Was physics just more likely to show up at the end of packets, or in the later packets of tournaments? Were there were a lot of physical chemistry or biochemistry questions that were classified as physics or something? Or am I just in the small group of people that wants to lose to Jerry Vinokurov and Seth Teitler in a tournament with 5/5 astrophysics and didn't notice that there was just as much physics as normal?
Joe Nutter
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
PACE, HSAPQ
Madagascar Serpent Eagle
Amazon of buried jaguars
 
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:48 pm

Re: Repeat/feng shui issues here

Postby Fake 4-ball » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:44 pm

jonah wrote:
Production of Watchmen wrote:Ah, that would explain "The Bells", The Picture of Dorian Gray, and the general Edgar Allen Poe toss-ups in DII.
How is Dorian Gray relevant?

Ladies and gentlemen, why I didn't break 40 PPG at the SCT.
Last edited by Fake 4-ball on Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14
Wandering hobo '??
Anonymous wrote:naqt is much worse than plagiarism could ever hope to be
User avatar
Fake 4-ball
torrent of sunbursts
 
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: Repeat/feng shui issues here

Postby bird bird bird bird bird » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:46 pm

The DII SCT contained 16/15 physics (round 6 was the one lacking a physics bonus).
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communications and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
User avatar
bird bird bird bird bird
Forums Staff: Administrator
 
Posts: 3963
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:33 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Repeat/feng shui issues here

Postby evilmonkey » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:27 pm

DII Packet 7 contains two tossups on World War II battles.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '??
evilmonkey
iceman of Andean tears
 
Posts: 953
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:23 am
Location: College Station, TX

Re: Repeat/feng shui issues here

Postby The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:05 am

Mike Bentley wrote:I believe the first DII packet had two questions on Gilbert and Sullivan operas.


I don't know if that's a big deal, though, since it was asking about two different operas (or where one is set, for the bonus part that came up in packet one). However, I have no idea if it is, so I could be wrong.

I really thought that the play lit that came up in the DII set was pretty good. However, was it just me, or did it seem like all of the myth that came up was Greco-Roman? I noticed maybe 3 other myth tossups that weren't this.
Jacob O'Rourke
MOQBA Member, HSAPQ Host Contact
Formerly Truman State '14 and Pacific High (MO) '10


"And here we are as on a darkling plain, Swept by confused alarms of struggle and flight, Where ignorant armies clash by night."
Matthew Arnold, Dover Beach.
User avatar
The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi
Amazon of buried jaguars
 
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: St. Louis-area, MO

Re: Repeat/feng shui issues here

Postby The Motley Eye » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:44 am

In DII I recall a tossup on "tales" that included "these 'from the Vienna Woods' by Strauss the Younger, and then a later question on Strauss the Younger that included "Tales from the Vienna Woods" as a clue. They were in separate packets, I believe.
Dan Goff
South Carolina, formerly Virginia Tech
HSQB sysadmin
PACE Member

STAAATS
User avatar
The Motley Eye
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1546
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:25 pm
Location: Columbia, SC

Re: Repeat/feng shui issues here

Postby The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:47 am

The tossup on dueling and the tossup on Three Sisters have the same clue about the duel in the Three Sisters.
Eric Mukherjee
Brown University '09
Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania '17

"The accumulated filth of all their stupidity and irrationality will foam up about their waists and all the Jehovah’s witnesses refusing blood transfusions, drug-seekers, creationists, new agers, anti-vaccination nutjobs, scientologists, and AIDS deniers will look up and shout ‘save us!’…and I’ll look down, and whisper ‘no’” –Rorschach MD
User avatar
The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus
groom of totemic guanacos
 
Posts: 1308
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:43 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Repeat/feng shui issues here

Postby theMoMA » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:33 am

The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:The tossup on dueling and the tossup on Three Sisters have the same clue about the duel in the Three Sisters.


All of the clues on dueling are from either that Conrad short story or Eugene Onegin.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Chief admin
User avatar
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator
 
Posts: 4590
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:00 am

Re: Repeat/feng shui issues here

Postby samer » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:57 am

The Motley Eye wrote:In DII I recall a tossup on "tales" that included "these 'from the Vienna Woods' by Strauss the Younger, and then a later question on Strauss the Younger that included "Tales from the Vienna Woods" as a clue. They were in separate packets, I believe.


While human eyes should ideally have caught it, this was exactly the sort of thing that Ginseng wouldn't pick up on (with all due respect to R., Ginseng is not as smart as Watson :lol:).
samer dot ismail -at- gmail dot com / Samer Ismail, PACE co-founder, NAQT editor
samer
mason high on your treacherous scaffolding
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:01 pm

Re: Repeat/feng shui issues here

Postby swwFCqb » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:35 am

There were two (somewhat minor) typo issues I remember hearing in D1 that don't fall into the stated category but should probably be noted anyway:

The abolitionist bonus that included parts on Birney, Garrison, and some other dude listed the date of 1944 instead of 1844.

The same packet as the above bonus featured a tossup with a lead-in sentence with no pronoun. Unfortunately I can't be any more specific about the packet or answer line without having the set in front of me...sorry.
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer
User avatar
swwFCqb
torrent of sunbursts
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:30 pm
Location: Lancaster, Ohio

Re: Repeat/feng shui issues here

Postby Kyle » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:36 am

swwFCqb wrote:The abolitionist bonus that included parts on Birney, Garrison, and some other dude listed the date of 1944 instead of 1844.


I wrote that question nine months ago and wrote that Birney had run "in 1940 and 1944." That question was edited, then it was briefly part of the ICT in slightly different form, then it was discussed at length, then it was put in the SCT, then it was set edited, and then I looked at it four days ago and didn't notice anything wrong with it. I really can't believe I didn't notice that. Sorry!
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
Kyle
Forums Staff: Moderator
 
Posts: 1099
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:16 pm
Location: Ifrane, Morocco / Oxford, UK / Issaquah, WA

Re: Repeat/feng shui issues here

Postby cornfused » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:31 am

I know there was a TU on the Grapes of Wrath (it provoked best-neg-ever candidate "The Wrapes of Grath!"), and wasn't there one on Steinbeck, too? I know this is kosher if GoW wasn't mentioned in the Steinbeck, but I thought I'd bring it up.
Greg Peterson
Maine South HS '07
Lawrence University '11
User avatar
cornfused
groom of totemic guanacos
 
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:22 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Repeat/feng shui issues here

Postby jonah » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:40 am

samer wrote:
The Motley Eye wrote:In DII I recall a tossup on "tales" that included "these 'from the Vienna Woods' by Strauss the Younger, and then a later question on Strauss the Younger that included "Tales from the Vienna Woods" as a clue. They were in separate packets, I believe.
While human eyes should ideally have caught it, this was exactly the sort of thing that Ginseng wouldn't pick up on (with all due respect to R., Ginseng is not as smart as Watson :lol:).
However, a feature to handle exactly this kind of problem is in the works and will probably be ready this summer.
Jonah Greenthal
NAQT (member, webmaster, mathematics editor, packet set editor)
IHSSBCA
Formerly New Trier, Illinois, UChicago, St. Ignatius, Loyola Academy
jonah
groom of totemic guanacos
 
Posts: 1859
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:51 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Repeat/feng shui issues here

Postby Fake 4-ball » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:55 pm

swwFCqb wrote:The same packet as the above bonus featured a tossup with a lead-in sentence with no pronoun. Unfortunately I can't be any more specific about the packet or answer line without having the set in front of me...sorry.

Similar to this, the last line in the Panama tossup in DII was notably missing the word "a".
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14
Wandering hobo '??
Anonymous wrote:naqt is much worse than plagiarism could ever hope to be
User avatar
Fake 4-ball
torrent of sunbursts
 
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: Repeat/feng shui issues here

Postby Edward Elric » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:04 pm

cornfused wrote:I know there was a TU on the Grapes of Wrath (it provoked best-neg-ever candidate "The Wrapes of Grath!"), and wasn't there one on Steinbeck, too? I know this is kosher if GoW wasn't mentioned in the Steinbeck, but I thought I'd bring it up.


Heh I don't think we'll ever let Ulysses live that down. I feel like that is fine since the Steinbeck tossup brought to light some other works of his. Especially since they weren't in the same packet.
Mike Perovanovic
University of Ill.-Chicago '13
Wheaton North '09
User avatar
Edward Elric
Amazon of buried jaguars
 
Posts: 506
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:31 pm
Location: Wheaton, IL

Re: Repeat/feng shui issues here

Postby Papa's in the House » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:55 pm

MickeyR0urke wrote:I really thought that the play lit that came up in the DII set was pretty good. However, was it just me, or did it seem like all of the myth that came up was Greco-Roman? I noticed maybe 3 other myth tossups that weren't this.

I played the D1 set (so if you played D2, this may not apply), but there were definitely non-Greco-Roman myth questions. I can remember a Norse myth TU and bonus, the TU on Aztecs, and the Hindu myth bonus off the top of my head (I'd have to check my notes for others).
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012
User avatar
Papa's in the House
Amazon of buried jaguars
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:43 pm

Re: Repeat/feng shui issues here

Postby The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:44 pm

Papa's in the House wrote:
MickeyR0urke wrote:I really thought that the play lit that came up in the DII set was pretty good. However, was it just me, or did it seem like all of the myth that came up was Greco-Roman? I noticed maybe 3 other myth tossups that weren't this.

I played the D1 set (so if you played D2, this may not apply), but there were definitely non-Greco-Roman myth questions. I can remember a Norse myth TU and bonus, the TU on Aztecs, and the Hindu myth bonus off the top of my head (I'd have to check my notes for others).


Yeah, there were a few on other things, but it seemed like there was a ton of Greco-Roman myth (that impression may just be a side-effect of only 1/1 myth per round). And it was the D2 set I was playing.
Jacob O'Rourke
MOQBA Member, HSAPQ Host Contact
Formerly Truman State '14 and Pacific High (MO) '10


"And here we are as on a darkling plain, Swept by confused alarms of struggle and flight, Where ignorant armies clash by night."
Matthew Arnold, Dover Beach.
User avatar
The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi
Amazon of buried jaguars
 
Posts: 579
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: St. Louis-area, MO

Re: Repeat/feng shui issues here

Postby Inkana7 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:42 am

MickeyR0urke wrote:
Papa's in the House wrote:
MickeyR0urke wrote:I really thought that the play lit that came up in the DII set was pretty good. However, was it just me, or did it seem like all of the myth that came up was Greco-Roman? I noticed maybe 3 other myth tossups that weren't this.

I played the D1 set (so if you played D2, this may not apply), but there were definitely non-Greco-Roman myth questions. I can remember a Norse myth TU and bonus, the TU on Aztecs, and the Hindu myth bonus off the top of my head (I'd have to check my notes for others).


Yeah, there were a few on other things, but it seemed like there was a ton of Greco-Roman myth (that impression may just be a side-effect of only 1/1 myth per round). And it was the D2 set I was playing.


I'm worthless at Greco-Roman myth, but this is how it should be. There were tossups on Indian, Zoroastrian, Mesopotamian and Norse myth (perhaps more that I am forgetting) and the rest were Greco-Roman, which is perfectly fine, as they are much more Important in the study of Western Civilization (not to mention have many more sources of fresh clues).
Jarret Greene

South Range '10
Ohio State '14
User avatar
Inkana7
Amazon of buried jaguars
 
Posts: 612
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:03 pm


Return to College area archives

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests