GSAC XXV Mirror Requests (2017-2018)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
c*t
Wakka

GSAC XXV Mirror Requests (2017-2018)

Post by c*t »

The newest incarnation of Maggie Walker Governor's School's housewrite, GSAC XXV, is now seeking mirrors! The mirror fee will be $12 per team attending, and the set will be available from December 9, 2017 until the end of the 2017-2018 season, but this date may be flexible if you feel that you can only mirror it some time before the December date. Please contact me at [email protected] or [email protected] if you are interested in hosting a mirror, would like to see sample packets from past years, or have any additional questions.

The set will be written and peer-edited by current members and alumni of the Maggie Walker team and will be head edited by Anuj Kotak and myself. Questions will be power-marked and six to seven lines in length with Times New Roman, size 12 font. Our goal is for GSAC to constantly improve, so this year, we want to emphasize maintaining a consistent difficulty (regular high school) and, in accordance with a general trend in question-writing that I believe to be important, having unique questions that reward deeper knowledge rather than rote memorization and word association. The set includes 14 packets, the last two of which are set aside for finals and are of slightly higher difficulty (HS+).

Additionally, this year's set distribution has been slightly adjusted to better align with the distribution of a regular NAQT invitational series (IS) set. You can view information on last year's set here. This year's distribution is as follows:

4/4 Literature
(1/1 American, 1/1 British, 1/1 European, 1/1 World, Ancient, or Miscellaneous)
4/4 Science (1/1 Biology, 1/1 Chemistry, 1/1 Physics, 1/1 Other [Math, Astronomy, Compsci, etc])
4/4 History (1/1 American, 1/1 European, 1/1 World, 1/1 Ancient/Modern [post-1945])
3/3 Fine Arts (1/1 Visual, 1/1 Auditory, 1/1 Misc [film, architecture, musicals, etc.])
1.5/1.5 Religion and Mythology (0.75/0.75 each)
1/1 Philosophy and Social Science
1/1 Geography
0.5/0.5 Current Events
1/1 Pop Culture, Sports, and Other Trash

Once again, please contact me at [email protected] or [email protected] with any questions or mirror requests!

CURRENT MIRRORS:
Davis, CA: Davis Classic @ Davis High School - December 16
Powell, OH: Liberty High School - January 6, 2018
Richmond, VA: GSAC XXV Main Site @ Maggie Walker - January 13, 2018
Lexington, KY: Woodford County High School - January 20, 2018
Hannibal, MO: TWAIN @ Hannibal High School - January 27, 2018
New Brunswick, NJ: Scarlet Knight Winter @ Rutgers-New Brunswick - January 27, 2018
St. Louis, MO: Oakville HS - February 3, 2018
Kansas City, MO: February 24, 2018
Union County, TN: Regulator Rumble @ Union County HS - March 8, 2018
Ann Arbor, MI: Michigan Winter Invitational @ UMichigan - March 10, 2018
Boston, MA: SPIT I @ Boston Latin School - March 24, 2018
Houston, TX: TQBA tournament @ Rice University - April 7
Lancaster, PA: MT Spring Academic Challenge @ Manheim Township - April 7
Last edited by c*t on Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 24 times in total.
Catherine Qian (she/her/hers)
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School '18
University of Pennsylvania '22
Secretary, PACE
crbirdx

Re: GSAC XXV Mirror Requests (2017-2018)

Post by crbirdx »

We would like to mirror at OLHS in Powell on 1/6/18. Here is a link to our tournament info.
http://www.ohioqbforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=502
c*t
Wakka

Post by c*t »

Hannibal High School willl be mirroring GSAC at their tournament on 1/27! Information about TWAIN on the Missouri Quizbowl forums can be found here: http://moquizbowl.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3464
Secretary, PACE
c*t
Wakka

Post by c*t »

I’m pleased to announce Rutgers-New Brunswick will be mirroring GSAC at Scarlet Knight Winter on Jan 27th!
Secretary, PACE
c*t
Wakka

Post by c*t »

We also have mirrors lined up in Union County, Tennessee (see updated link in original post) and near Lexington, Kentucky (details forthcoming)!

If your school is interested in hosting a tournament using GSAC, please let me know!
We're especially hoping to have mirrors in the following regions:
-Northern and Southern California
-Texas
-Illinois
-Massachusetts
-Pennsylvania
Secretary, PACE
c*t
Wakka

Post by c*t »

The University of Michigan will be mirroring GSAC at Michigan Winter Invitational on February 10, 2018.

We're still looking for more mirrors, so if your state/region doesn't have one yet and you'd like to host a tournament using GSAC please don't hesitate to contact me!
Secretary, PACE
c*t
Wakka

Post by c*t »

Thanks to Davis Senior HS for hosting the first mirror of GSAC XXV!

A private forum has been created titled "2017 GSAC Discussion" for those who have played the set and wish to discuss it. Go to User Control Panel > Usergroups > 2017 GSAC Discussion > Submit. The set isn't clear until it is uploaded to the archives, likely in June 2018, so please ONLY discuss content in the private forum. Thanks!
Secretary, PACE
c*t
Wakka

Post by c*t »

Boston Latin School will be mirroring GSAC at State Prep Invitational Tournament (SPIT I) on March 24th and TQBA will host a mirror at Rice University on April 7

Although the number will probably change as more mirrors happen, our current adjustment is 0.68, meaning it is very close to our target difficulty while still using fresh clues and some innovative answerlines. We are still open to more mirrors in regions that do not yet have a site, such as PA, southern CA, IL, and AL, so if you would like to host a tournament, please email me!
Secretary, PACE
c*t
Wakka

Post by c*t »

The Michigan mirror of GSAC has been rescheduled for March 10th due to snow. GSAC is still available for mirror requests in a number of regions!
Secretary, PACE
c*t
Wakka

Post by c*t »

Manheim Township will be using GSAC XXV for their tournament on April 7th! (Link updated in original post)

With it being March already, I’m guessing most tournaments are already finalized BUT if your circuit hasn’t had a mirror and would like a set for a pre-nats tournament or something like that, don’t hesitate to contact me! Our last mirror is currently scheduled for April and we expect to have the set posted in mid-May.
Secretary, PACE
c*t
Wakka

Post by c*t »

Unfortunately the Houston mirror has been cancelled, but we would still like for a Texas mirror to happen so TX teams can play the set; if you think you might be interested, contact me ASAP! Looking at our hsqbrank adjustment, this set would probably be fine for pre-nationals prep. I'm also willing to help schools that don't have experience hosting tournaments get something started! :)
Secretary, PACE
CSQuizJags
Tidus

Post by CSQuizJags »

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/5071/

Here are the results from the Athens GA mirror.

Grady went 3-2 in the prelims but swept Creekland MS in the playoffs to win the tournament at 5-2. Creekland A and B (both 6-1 overall and 1-1 in the playoffs) decided not to play each other and claimed 2nd place as a whole.
Cedar Shoals HS Academic Team:
2011, 2012, and 2013 Classic City Academic Team Champions
2014 Region 8-AAAAA Varsity and JV Champions
2013 GATA Class AAAAA JV State Champions
2014 WSB-TV HighQ Tournament Champions
Arthur Banks, Advisor
c*t
Wakka

Post by c*t »

Hi everyone, GSAC XXV has been uploaded to the archives!

Thank you to all of our mirror sites for hosting us and to all of the people who played it for helping make GSAC XXV (Quarter Quell/Silver Jubilee) one of the most, if not the most, successful high-school-written housewrites this year. GSAC has been integral to Maggie Walker quizbowl both as the way we fundraise for nats and as an institution I care deeply about, so I really appreciate everyone who played it this year, especially because this was the last iteration before our hiatus.

I'd also like to give a thank you to the following people: all of the writers and editors--the 2017-2018 team (Kelin Carpenter, Catherine Qian, Anuj Kotak [head editor], Owen Peck, Daniel Xue, Angela Chen, Richard Zhai, Nikhil Chandravel, Siddharth Venigalla, Andrew Datovech and Tyler Pimblett) and alumni (Parth Kotak, Omar Karim, Will Overman, Akshata Pisharody, Avery Gagne and Christian Moore); the kind folks who gave feedback on the forums (special thanks to Conor Thompson!); our coaches Hana Voight (for whom this is her last year coaching) and Juanita Lasswell for their continued support; and all of our old, inspiring alumni from way back when for setting the bar high and beginning the beloved tradition of writing GSAC.

As I mentioned, GSAC will be on hiatus for the coming school year, but production on GSAC XXVI (The Return of the Jedi) has already begun! The incoming head editor will be announcing its availability for mirroring in 2019-2020 once they've made enough progress. Be on the lookout for that and we hope to see plenty of mirrors for it in 2020!
Secretary, PACE