Yale's BHSAT XXVII available for hosting in Spring 2018

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
changdi
Lulu

Yale's BHSAT XXVII available for hosting in Spring 2018

Post by changdi »

Hello everyone!

The Yale University quizbowl team is pleased to announce that this year's Bulldog High School Academic Tournament (BHSAT XXVII) will be available for tournament mirrors in the spring of 2018. As is traditional, BHSAT 2018 will be written and edited by members of the Yale quizbowl team. Jacob Reed will once again be returning to head-edit the tournament this year. Recent iterations of the set have consistently garnered praise, and we hope to bring you another exciting, challenging, and interesting set.

The main site of the tournament will (tentatively) be hosted on Saturday, February 10, at Yale University in New Haven, CT. We are currently seeking mirror sites in as many locations as possible, from the weekend of February 3rd onwards. After the last mirror, the set will be uploaded to the archive for public reference.

If you are interested in mirroring BHSAT 2018, please email me at [email protected] and wait for confirmation (if you don't receive it within 3 business days, feel free to send another). We're also happy to have BHSAT used at singles tournaments, state All-Star Team tryouts, etc. - just email me at the above address and we'll work out a suitable arrangement.

The mirror fee, payable to "Y. Student Academic Competitions" (exactly as written) is $10 per non-house team in attendance. In the case of multiple bids, we will, as in previous years, show a preference for hosts who demonstrate their capacity for outreach to a wide range of teams in their area.

Set details:

The set will consist of fourteen (14) packets of equal difficulty (no special "finals" packets). Tossups will be five to six lines long in 10 point Times New Roman. Before powermarking, all tossups will be six lines long, or shorter; no bonus part will be longer than two lines. All tossups will be powermarked. Host sites must agree not to modify, subtract from, add to, or edit the set. We are certainly open to any reasonable changes (i.e. playing the set without powers)—just send Jacob an email at [email protected].

This set is not to be distributed electronically by anyone except the editors of the set. While paper copies may be given out to tournament attendees by tournament directors, requests for electronic copies of packets should be submitted to [email protected]. (Exceptions will be made for tournaments run on electronic packets, insofar as tournament directors will be permitted to distribute electronic packets to staff readers.) Recipients of electronic copies are not permitted to share them. Please do not discuss any question content publicly until BHSAT mirrors have concluded for the year.

The difficulty of this year's BHSAT will be in the same range as the BHSAT sets from past years (2011-2017), i.e. aiming at the "core" of an advanced high school curriculum. You can peruse those to your heart's content on quizbowlpackets.com.

Packets will be distributed as follows:
4/4 Literature (at least 1/1 each American, British, European, .5/.5 one more of the above, .5/.5 World)
4/4 Science (1/1 biology, 1/1 chemistry, 1/1 physics, 1/1 other science, with a heavy focus on math)
4/4 History (1/1 American, 2/2 European/British/Ancient, 1/1 "World"; Canadian/Australian where appropriate in context)
3/3 Fine Arts (1/1 Visual, 1/1 Auditory including jazz, 1/1 "audiovisual"—ballet, film, opera—and "usable"—architecture, design, ceramics, etc.)
2/2 "Beliefs" (1/1 Religion, 1/1 Mythology)
1/1 "Thought" (roughly .5/.5 each Social Science and Philosophy)
2/2 "Modern World" (1/1 split approximately 2:1 between geography and current events, 1/1 pop culture/Trash)

Each packet will feature an extra tossup and bonus for use as tiebreakers and/or replacements; these could come from any academic (non-Trash) category.

We hope you'll help us make BHSAT a nationwide success again in Spring 2018. Please contact me at [email protected] to secure a mirror in your region. Thanks!
Cathy Xue
Montgomery Blair '15
Yale '19
changdi
Lulu

Re: Yale's BHSAT XXVII available for hosting in Spring 2018

Post by changdi »

Scheduled sites:
Northeast: BHSAT at Yale (main site; 02/10)
Missouri: WUHSAC at WUStL (02/17)
Pennsylvania: GVQBT V at Great Valley HS (02/24)
Georgia: NGIT I at North Gwinett HS (02/24)
Ohio: Yellow Jacket Invitational at Sidney HS (03/03)
Northern California: Cal Cup #4 at ?? (03/03)
Illinois: ATROPHY at NIU (04/14)
DC area: VCU Season Finale at VCU (04/21)

[To see your tournament here, email today!]
Last edited by changdi on Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:07 am, edited 6 times in total.
Cathy Xue
Montgomery Blair '15
Yale '19
Jeremy Gibbs Paradox
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Paradox »

The WUHSAC will be FEBRUARY not March. I will post when back to school gives me a moment to do so appropriately.
Last edited by Jeremy Gibbs Paradox on Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
TINA! BRING ME THE AXE!!!!

Sean Phillips
Boonville HS 00
WUSTL 04
SLU Law 07
Member MOQBA 2008-present
Is it wrong I like Boonville most of those 3?:)
changdi
Lulu

Post by changdi »

My mistake! The post has been updated.
Cathy Xue
Montgomery Blair '15
Yale '19
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

Hello! Could whoever has access to the set upload a Word files version to the archives as well, or just PM me with a link to the Google Docs/Word files? (Currently the archives only have PDFs.)

Having access to the Word files helps a lot for parsing the packets, which helps get them uploaded to question databases like QuizDB. Thanks!
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM