Call for Writers: IHO side events

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Call for Writers: IHO side events

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Hello! The International History Olympiad includes a number of small subject-oriented side events throughout the week, in addition to the more familiar Bee and Bowl competitions. These side events are in the range of 120-140 tossups and are styled as Bees (so no lightning rounds, related bonus questions, etc.). I'm looking for experienced writers interested in producing these side events while the general NHBB writing team produces the general Bee and Bowl. Like last year, this year's slate of side events includes a few based in history and a few with other focuses. In particular, two events use a visual component (like Eyes That Do Not See) where a series of PowerPoint slides present non-verbal clues, and two other events use an audio component (like Imaginary Landscape), where a series of sound clips are played.

The full list of side events I'm looking for assistance with is...

Historical Geography (i.e. geography questions with a focus on historical events)
Naval History (i.e. this year's "military topic you should study for," similar to last year's World War I/20th century military event)
Ancient History (i.e. general history, pre-476 AD)
Recent History (i.e. general history, post-2000)
Visual History (i.e. history questions in visual form, as above)
Visual Art (half visual, half written)
Classical Music (half audio, half written)
Popular Music (half audio, half written)
Sports

Some of these events have some more specific directions/writing philosophies -- for example, the Classical Music and Art events do not have the usual NHBB requirement for historical content. I'll describe these in more detail with interested writers via e-mail.

I'm looking for a Head Editor and a small number of writers for each set. The Head Editor is in charge of editing each submitted question (rejecting poor submissions, if necessary) and creating the packet files by the deadline, in addition to writing a probably-substantial part of the set. The Head Editor will receive a small additional bonus for their work finishing the set, as well as bonuses for meeting progress deadlines leading up to the final "packets are complete" deadline of June 19th. Writers can work for any number of the above sets; I would prefer a Head Editor only be responsible for one of the sets above, but we'll see what we get. My goal is to have writing teams and Head Editors named for each of the above sets by the end of next week, so that teams will have roughly 1.5 months to complete each set.

Writers (and Head Editors, for their own written questions) will be paid $5 per question for these side events.

If you are interested in writing for one or more of these events, regardless of whether you are a "current NHBB writer," e-mail me at [email protected]. (If you haven't written for me before, include a brief summary of what sets you've written for.)

Thank you!
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Re: Call for Writers: IHO side events

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

I've heard from (and replied to) a good number of people, but would still like more! I'd like to finalize teams/editors by Monday (though the first editing deadlines are flexible and wouldn't kick in until late May -- don't worry if you don't want to start working until after finals!), so please let me know if you're interested.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)