Call for Writers: NHBB 2015-16

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Call for Writers: NHBB 2015-16

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Hello, everyone! I'm excited to be working with NHBB to produce their question sets for the 2015-16 season and beyond. As opposed to last year's model, my job is to produce the sets; not to write them completely myself, but to oversee a team of writers, make sure sets are on pace to finish by deadlines, edit submitted questions, and format the packets. Of course, I'll be writing plenty of questions myself, but we are looking for a broad collection of writers to guarantee quality, timely work.

To that end, I am looking for writers interested in joining our team. We offer rates of $3-$4 per tossup and $4.50-$6 per 60-second round, with higher pay based on your experience, output, and reliability. If you're interested in writing a consistent number of questions each week, whether that's 5 or 50, I'm interested in hiring you.

To apply, send a short description of your quizbowl experience (what school(s) you've played for, how long you've been writing questions, sets that you've written for, any editing experience) and a file of 5 tossups (400-500 characters, don't worry about formatting). Make sure your submitted questions are pristine; if accepted, we'd edit and use them in NHBB sets. Current high school students are invited to apply as well; we can use your questions in sets you won't play. I will respond to you ASAP; we will be moving quickly to begin production of this year's sets and a stockpile of questions for future years.

If you have questions, please contact me at [email protected]. I look forward to hearing from many of you soon!
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Re: Call for Writers: NHBB 2015-16

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

If you are an experienced writer interested in joining the NHBB writing team for 2015-16 and haven't reached out to me yet, now is the time to act! Our first set of writing assignments is going out later today and tomorrow.

Writers who have written and/or edited for multiple published housewrite tournaments, at high school or college level, do not need to submit a five-question application; simply list your experience.

NHBB pays standard rates of between $3 and $4 per tossup. Writers receive a set rate based on experience, determined at hiring and with potential for raises, and may qualify for bonus pay based on output and reliability. Once submitted, questions will be reviewed by an editor and either accepted for use or sent back for guided revision. An accepted question may be edited immediately by the editor or kept in stockpile for future editing; in either case, once accepted, the question is credited to the writer for payment.

In addition, some NHBB events require small parcels of questions within a certain category. These include side events at the International History Olympiad or other events (for example, a 140-tossup bee on current events) and distributional needs within NHBB sets (for example, a 30-question collection of art history to fill the High School Nationals distribution, or a 10-question set of replacement content for an international set). Writers interested in completing the entirety of one of these jobs will be eligible for bonus pay based on the size of the job and the speed and quality of their work. These parcels will be posted in NHBB writer e-mails; so writers just need to respond to those e-mails to volunteer. The first of those e-mails is going out later today.

E-mail me at [email protected] for more information or to apply to be a writer!
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)