NHBB High School Nationals 2015 Wild Card Policy

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Great Bustard
Auron

NHBB High School Nationals 2015 Wild Card Policy

Post by Great Bustard »

As NHBB Nationals qualification rules for Nationals are already relatively open compared to other national championships, we do not typically allow wild card bids except in the following extenuating circumstances for which we will consider allowing wild card teams into the draw:

-Your regional tournament was cancelled after you had registered (or had planned on attending and can confirm this) Note that due to various logistical hurdles that resulted in the postponement/rescheduling of multiple tournaments, a blanket wild card policy is in effect for Southern California teams this year as well.
-Some sort of extenuating circumstance (e.g. a medical emergency) presented itself during or before a competition that affected your team's ability to qualify
-Your regional competition (i.e. the only one within a 90 minute drive) was scheduled for after March 21
-There was no regional competition in your area (though this does not apply to anyone receiving this email)

In these instances, we will entertain wild card applications, which should just take the form of an email to me at [email protected] explaining the situation. Send these asap please!

Not to be confused with wild card teams are filler teams. Each division (Varsity and JV) needs exactly a multiple of 6 teams to function for the draw at Nationals. We will look for teams (who need not have qualified nor have competed at all at regionals/states) to round out the draw if needed. If you are interested in a filler team slot (these still cost the usual rate), let me know, and I will add it to the list. Priority will be given to teams that came close to qualifying, followed by teams who didn't come close but who still competed, followed by teams who didn't compete at Regionals at all. You will be notified as soon as possible after April 13 if slots are available. Send these asap please too!

Lastly, we will also need standby teams in the event a team drops. These teams usually pay a reduced rate, which is open for negotiation and can range from anywhere to almost the full price to nothing at all, depending on what degree of short notice they are contacted on. Standby teams do not need to have competed at all, but must be within 30 minutes of Arlington, VA on 7:30am on April 25. Again, please notify me by email if you are interested; those who contact me first will be given priority.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad