NHBB Nationals: Call for Writers

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

NHBB Nationals: Call for Writers

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Hello everyone,

We've got the question sets for the NHBB High School Nationals Weekend, to be held on April 24-26, 2015 in the Washington, DC Metro Area to write over the next few weeks: specifically, National History Bee, National History Bowl, US History Bee, and US Geography Olympiad. That's a lot of questions - questions which you, at home, could be writing! These sets are great ways to write some creative questions (the difficulty is a little higher than the invitational sets) and earn some extra money doing it (the going rate will be competitive with other question-writing organizations). Most of the questions are in history, though cultural categories (historically-oriented science, literature, mythology, religion, etc) are also needed. If there are particular categories you feel you have strengths in, please include that in your email.

Those of you interested in writing, please email me at [email protected] by midnight Thursday (3/12/2015), with samples of your writing (either by saying "I edited [history] for [set]" or by attaching some questions). I will have final say on the writing team for these sets. Given the many needs in each of these sets, I will be looking mainly to approve people with a track record of writing questions at this difficulty level which need minimal revision or editing. Those of you who are not selected to write for this particular group of sets are still encouraged to contact the Director of National History Bee and Bowl, David Madden, about the process of becoming a writer for the 2015-16 season. Those of you that emailed me about writing for the A-set last week are encouraged to re-email me at the above email address.

Hope to receive your responses soon.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Great Bustard
Auron

Re: NHBB Nationals: Call for Writers

Post by Great Bustard »

Writers accepted by Eric for this will be compensated at the rate of $5 per free-standing tossup of any sort, $6 for tossup / bonus pair, and $7 per 60 second round. Writers will be paid by me within a few weeks of the use of the set at Nationals. Note that all tossups written become the property of NHBB to do with as we see fit and that writers forgo all future revenues and further use of these questions without the express written consent of NHBB. Thanks!
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad