Question about Qualification

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Citizen Snips
Lulu

Question about Qualification

Post by Citizen Snips »

In our meeting today, we were talking about registering for the state championship on March 15. This just so happens to be the first day of our spring break. So far, we have two Varsity players and one JV player committed to going (probably more will come, we're just not sure yet). I said that, if no one else could come, we could still register one Varsity and one JV for nationals (assuming they both qualify) and send as many players as we want to Washington. My coach said that only the players who play at regionals can be on a team in Washington.

Which one of us is right?
Jesse Bennett
University School of Nashville (TN) '14
Vanderbilt University '19
Corry
Rikku

Re: Question about Qualification

Post by Corry »

As far as I know, when you qualify for History Bowl nationals, you're just qualifying the teams themselves, not specific players. The varsity and junior varsity teams that Arcadia sent to nationals last year looked nothing like the teams we had at regionals. So technically, I guess you don't actually have to play at regionals to come to nationals.
Corry Wang
Arcadia High School 2013
Amherst College 2017
NAQT Writer and Subject Editor
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

So technically, I guess you don't actually have to play at regionals to come to nationals.
Yes, assuming you're meaning the singular "you". On more than one occasion, BCA has sent a student to Nationals who did not compete at a Regional History Bowl.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Jon and Corry are correct - there's no need for a Regionals and Nationals team to share any of the same players. Also, at Regionals, teams are limited to 6 players, but this rule does not exist at Nationals where this is no limit to team size.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad