National History Bowl Nationals - 2013 Wild Card Policy

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Great Bustard
Auron

National History Bowl Nationals - 2013 Wild Card Policy

Post by Great Bustard »

The National History Bee and Bowl's 2013 National Championships wild card policies are as follows:

For High School Teams and Students
1. No team who has not competed at an NHBB regional competition will be allowed to submit a wild card bid unless...
1A. They were registered for a tournament which was cancelled.
2A. Extremely extenuating circumstances prevented attendance at a tournament.
3A. A procedural error was made at the tournament that resulted in the team being placed at an unfair disadvantage.
4A. Unless 1A, 2A, or 3A applies, wild card bids from high school teams will not be considered. Simply saying "we're a good team that went 2-3" does not work.
5A. The same set of conditions holds for the National History Bee.
6A. For the US Geography Challenge, if 1A or 2A is the case, please contact me, and we can have a copy of the test sent to your school and your coach or a geography teacher can proctor it.

If 1A, 2A, or 3A is the case, please email me at [email protected] with an explanation, and we'll evaluate your bid accordingly.

2. Teams are, however, welcome to submit a request to change their Nationals bid division from Varsity to Junior Varsity and vice versa with the following caveats...
2A. The total number of teams allowed to represent a school will not exceed the total number of teams who qualified.
3A. There must be a "good explanation" of why a school wishes to change its affiliation. This will then be evaluated in light of the circumstances, and a decision will be made whether to allow this or not.
4A. A middle school bid can not be switched for a JV or Varsity bid, and vice versa.

Again, please email me with details if you wish to take advantage of this

For Middle School Teams
1. No team who has not competed at an NHBB regional competition will be allowed to submit a wild card bid unless...
1A. They were registered for a tournament which was cancelled.
2A. Extremely extenuating circumstances prevented attendance at a tournament.

2. However, since we will not end up having separate middle school divisions at most tournaments, and since we only have 1 distinct middle school regionals/state set, middle school teams who did attend a tournament but did not automatically qualify may apply for a wild card bid. However, they can only do so (unless there was a procedural error) if they had at least 1 win against another middle school team in competition or at least 100 points in a game against a high school team. These will be evaluated in light of the overall team circumstances and a decision will be made. If you wish to submit a middle school wild card bid, please email me.

3. As a heads up, as our middle school History Bowl division grows and more opportunities begin to exist to compete, the wild card policy for middle school teams in subsequent years will come to resemble the high school division's policy.

For the Elementary and Middle School History Bee
1. Contact [email protected] to explain your situation, but my understanding is that unless extremely extenuating circumstances (i.e. beyond it being relatively far away, for example) are at play, then a wild card bid for History Bee Nationals is unlikely to be accepted.

This set of guidelines will be sent to all teams in the January NHBB newsletter which will go out on Jan. 31.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad