A Word Regarding Registering for NHBB Tournaments

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Great Bustard
Auron

A Word Regarding Registering for NHBB Tournaments

Post by Great Bustard »

Hi Everyone,
I'm not sure why (perhaps because they are not individually announced on the forums under the usual tournament listings?), but it seems as if teams tend to sign up later for NHBB tournaments than standard quizbowl tournaments. This makes planning on our end much more difficult, regarding everything from buzzers to readers to briefing directors, and especially, knowing if we have enough teams to make holding a tournament worthwhile in certain regions.
While like most tournament directors, we aim to be flexible and accommodating, it would make everyone's experience better if you registered (or at least sent me or Greg Bossick a quick email expressing interest with an estimated number of teams) as soon as you know you are coming to an NHBB event. If you need to adjust your numbers later or need a revised invoice, that's totally fine. On the other hand, seeing tournaments go from 5 to 25 teams in the five days before a tournament makes it a lot harder to run an enjoyable tournament. Likewise, if teams see that other teams are registered or likely to come to an event, it can affect their decisions to attend as well. But if a tournament seems to have little interest (even if the reality is different), it can lead to rumors about events being cancelled (see Louisiana post on the other active NHBB thread) or make teams not want to come.
I know that registering and then withdrawing is also inconvenient, but it's still better to sign up long in advance and adjust numbers later, or at least let us know that you're interested.
Thanks for your understanding and your support of NHBB, and I hope the overall upward trend in registrations this year at our tournaments continues!
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
ProfessorIanDuncan
Wakka

Re: A Word Regarding Registering for NHBB Tournaments

Post by ProfessorIanDuncan »

In my case, I tend to sign up for quizbowl tournaments with a range of possible teams, which allows some sort of flexibility. WIth NHBB however, the online registration gives off the vibe that the number of teams needs to be definite and as such the rosters are really only decided a week or 2 weeks at most in advance. If there was some sort of way to edit the number of teams, then my team at least would not be registering at the last moment.

P.S. Did you get our registration for the Ridgewood tournament? My coach said she filled it out today.
Alec Vulfson
Irvington High School '13
Great Bustard
Auron

Re: A Word Regarding Registering for NHBB Tournaments

Post by Great Bustard »

ProfessorIanDuncan wrote:In my case, I tend to sign up for quizbowl tournaments with a range of possible teams, which allows some sort of flexibility. WIth NHBB however, the online registration gives off the vibe that the number of teams needs to be definite and as such the rosters are really only decided a week or 2 weeks at most in advance. If there was some sort of way to edit the number of teams, then my team at least would not be registering at the last moment.

P.S. Did you get our registration for the Ridgewood tournament? My coach said she filled it out today.
Okay, we'll take this into account when we overhaul the high school website at the end of this school year. In the meantime, though, people can always email me with adjustments to their numbers, and "expressions of interest" in advance of registrations are most welcome.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad