Introducing the National History Bee & Bowl Forum

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Great Bustard
Auron

Introducing the National History Bee & Bowl Forum

Post by Great Bustard »

Greetings, all and sundry!
On behalf of the staff of The National History Bee and Bowl, I would like to welcome you to the newly created National History Bee and Bowl forum. Please use this forum for all NHBB related discussion, including tournament results, logistics, hosting arrangements, etc. However, please keep the following in mind:
-Do NOT discuss NHBB questions here until the sets have been cleared. This will not happen until the end of March for all three NHBB regional/state sets.
-All usual board rules regarding posting apply
-OSPL and the as-yet-to-be-named Awards, along with other NHBB sponsored initiatives will still be discussed in their heretofore locations
-Don't forget to check out www.historybowl.com and www.historybee.com for more information
-Please use this forum for discussion of the Middle School Division of The National History Bee as well - the nationwide marketing blitz for that will begin next week.

Thanks to the hsquizbowl.org administrators for creating this forum, and thanks to everyone for their continued support of NHBB! We hope to see you and your team at one of our 70+ tournaments around the world this year!
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Edward Powers
Auron

Re: Introducing the National History Bee & Bowl Forum

Post by Edward Powers »

David,

I had asked this in an email but perhaps it is better to ask here on a public site, so, here goes:

I know you have 3 Sets for your History 'Bowls"---C, B, and A ,in ascending order of difficulty. Is the same true of your "Bees"? Do you have C,B, and A difficulty 'Bee" Sets paired with their corresponding 'Bowl' Sets & levels of difficulty at each specific venue? I ask because you have said teams can compete as often as they wish, so, with three Bowl Question Sets, in theory a team can compete 3 times assuming it can travel to all 3 different venues.

Can individuals do likewise? To be more concrete,to illustrate the larger issue for everyone who might be in a comparable situation around the country: If several of my players compete at the Ridgewood NJ Bee, can they also compete 2 weeks later at the Princeton NJ State Championship Bee because that Bee is on an "A" level Bee Set, whereas the Ridgewood Bee Set was a "B" level Set, or, are all "Bees" based upon the exact same set of questions? I ask of course because if there is only one set, and if my players wish to compete for the State Bee Championship, they will have to skip the Bee in Ridgewood in order to be eligible to compete for the State Bee Championship at Princeton? And would not something similar be true for all states and/or regions that host more than one Bee & Bowl yet crown only one Bee State or Regional Champion?

Curious here in your very own Garden State!
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Black-throated Antshrike
Rikku

Post by Black-throated Antshrike »

Edward Powers wrote:David,

I had asked this in an email but perhaps it is better to ask here on a public site, so, here goes:

I know you have 3 Sets for your History 'Bowls"---C, B, and A ,in ascending order of difficulty. Is the same true of your "Bees"? Do you have C,B, and A difficulty 'Bee" Sets paired with their corresponding 'Bowl' Sets & levels of difficulty at each specific venue? I ask because you have said teams can compete as often as they wish, so, with three Bowl Question Sets, in theory a team can compete 3 times assuming it can travel to all 3 different venues.

Can individuals do likewise? To be more concrete,to illustrate the larger issue for everyone who might be in a comparable situation around the country: If several of my players compete at the Ridgewood NJ Bee, can they also compete 2 weeks later at the Princeton NJ State Championship Bee because that Bee is on an "A" level Bee Set, whereas the Ridgewood Bee Set was a "B" level Set, or, are all "Bees" based upon the exact same set of questions? I ask of course because if there is only one set, and if my players wish to compete for the State Bee Championship, they will have to skip the Bee in Ridgewood in order to be eligible to compete for the State Bee Championship at Princeton? And would not something similar be true for all states and/or regions that host more than one Bee & Bowl yet crown only one Bee State or Regional Champion?

Curious here in your very own Garden State!
The A B and C Bee sets are completely different (and follow the same difficulty of the Bowl), so teams can play on all three provided they can get to them. Your players would be able to both compete at the Ridgewood and NJ State Championship
Joe
Delaware
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Thank you Joe.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ