CANCELLED--Auburn Fall Kickoff Tournament-10/6/18 (WHAQ III)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

CANCELLED--Auburn Fall Kickoff Tournament-10/6/18 (WHAQ III)

Post by Zealots of Stockholm »

I am pleased to announce that the Auburn Fall Kickoff Tournamentwill be held on Saturday, October 6th, 2018. The tournament will be hosted on the Auburn University campus in the Haley Center (351 W Thach Concourse, Auburn, AL 36849). This tournament will be open to all interested high school teams from Alabama and beyond.

QUESTIONS: This tournament will use the WHAQ III question set. More information about the set can be found here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... 09&t=21382. This tournament will also seek to become a PACE NSC qualifier, and was awarded platinum status last year (top 25% of teams qualified for PACE NSC). This is the ONLY mirror of this set in Alabama this year (outside of the Cullman County tournament--sorry, Cullman teams!), and we hope to draw lots of teams from across the state. This is a regular difficulty high school question set which will be appropriate for experienced teams and newcomers alike, and should play as slightly easier than an NAQT IS set.

LOCATION, PARKING, TIME:
This tournament will take place in the Haley Center (351 W Thach Concourse, Auburn, AL 36849). The closest available parking will be the navy and pink lot marked "D" on this map http://media.al.com/montgomery/photo/au ... 2d81bb.jpg. Parking on campus is free on weekends. From there, follow Heisman Drive across from the stadium and it will take you to the Haley Center. It is very old and brick.

We ask that teams arrive between 8:10-8:30 A.M. on the day of the tournament. Expect an opening meeting and games to begin shortly thereafter. This tournament should end no later than 5:00 P.M. for all teams not playing in finals.

FIELD AND FORMAT:
For now, we will cap the field at 12 teams. If there is sufficient interest, we will attempt to expand and should be able to.

Format is TBD based on field size, but we will try to guarantee every team at least 9 games.

RULES:
This tournament will follow standard NAQT rules, except rounds will be untimed 20/20. Powers (15) and negs (-5) will be in effect, and no worksheets will be used. Bonuses will not bounce back. Teams will be limited to a maximum of six players. Schools with more players should register an additional team.

FEES:
$65 for the first team from a school
$60 for each additional team from a school
-$5 for each WORKING buzzer set a school brings (no limit!).
-$15 for each capable moderator (not scorekeeper) from a school.
-$10 for each scorekeeper from a school
-$10 per team for a school traveling more than 150 miles (one way).
-$20 for a team that is new to quiz bowl (defined as not having played a tournament for two years prior to September 1, 2018).
Minimum fee: $40
Minimum fee for new teams: $25
If money is an issue, contact me about it. I'm sure we can work something out and make it possible for your team to play.

Email me at [email protected] to register. Include "Auburn Fall Kickoff Tournament" in the subject. Include how many teams, buzzers, etc. you intend to bring.

A NOTE REGARDING WAIVERS:
Due to Auburn's minors on campus policy, every player must fill our a waiver ahead of time and have it signed by their parents. These waivers must be brought on the day of the tournament, and I cannot allow a player without a waiver to play! I do not want to have to tell anyone they can't play, so please make sure your players fill out their waivers! You will receive an email confirming registration with these waivers attached after registering.

METHOD OF PAYMENT (borrowed from Cody Voight):

All teams must pay by the day of the tournament. Teams who do not pay by the day of the tournament will be charged a $25* penalty and will have two weeks to pay their total amount before we start mailing letters to your school administration about it.

We can accept cash, personal checks, or checks from school, school district, or quizbowl club funds. Using other forms of payment outside those listed will be considered nonpayment and subject you to the $25 late payment penalty.

All checks must be made out to "Auburn Quiz Bowl" (must be exact wording). If you require a pre-tournament invoice in order to have a check cut, let us know early enough for your school to process the payment. We can generally send you an invoice the same day.

*Note that this is a policy I never thought I would need to enact at tournaments I hosted, but after not being paid for a tournament we hosted last year, it seems necessary now.

QUESTIONS/CONCERNS:
Any other questions, comments, or concerns can be posted below, or emailed to me at [email protected].

We hope to see lots of teams on the Plains on October 6!
Last edited by Zealots of Stockholm on Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Vanderbilt University '22
Auburn University '20
Good Hope High School (Cullman, AL) '16
Full Member, ACF; Member, PACE
Writer/editor, ACF, PACE, IQBT
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

Re: Auburn Fall Kickoff Tournament-10/6/18 (WHAQ III)

This post reserved for field updates.

FIELD (teams/buzzers/staffers):
Creekside Christian Academy (1/0/0)*1JV
Hewitt-Trussville (1/1/1)
Smiths Station (2/0/0)*1JV
Southside (1/0/0)
Sylacauga (2/2/0) *1JV

TOTAL: (7/3/1), 3 JV
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Auburn University '20
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

Re: Auburn Fall Kickoff Tournament-10/6/18 (WHAQ III)

Due to lack of interest, this tournament has been cancelled.
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Auburn University '20