State College Invitational (12/8/18) [CANCELLED]

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
madk3p
Kimahri

State College Invitational (12/8/18) [CANCELLED]

Post by madk3p » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:39 am

EDIT: This tournament has been cancelled due to an inability to secure rooms for the date needed.

State College Area High School is excited to invite you to the first iteration of our high school invitational (the official name, however goofy, will be democratically decided by the club on a later date) on Saturday, December 8th, 2018. Registration will run from 8 to 8:30 AM with rounds starting at 9 AM after an all-team meeting. The tournament will be directed by myself, so email me at tns12@scasd.org if you have any questions.

Format + Question Set
The field is soft capped to 18, but depending on interest and staffing availability, this will likely increase. The number of rounds and playoff/finals format will be determined by the field size and announced to registered teams at a later date.

This tournament will mirror the CAST set (13/14 packets). Tournament games will follow standard ACF rules of untimed rounds consisting of 20 tossups and 20 three-part, 30 point bonuses without bouncebacks. Ties will be broken by tiebreaker tossups. Powers will be 15 points and negs -5 (before the end of the tossup).

This tournament will be held at the State College Area High School (650 Westerly Parkway, State College, PA 16803). Parking is available on the school's campus. We know this can be a far trek for some teams so feel free to reach out to me with any logistical questions or requests (i.e. hotels).

Registration and Fees
To register for this tournament, fill out the form available here. Once you submit the form, we'll send you a confirmation and periodic updates leading up to December.

Fees are:
$65 for the first team
$55 per additional team
-$10 for buzzer discount
-$10 for moderator discount (coaches and students who are experienced moderators only)
-$20 for teams that have not attended a pyramidal quiz bowl tournament in the past two years (IU competitions do not count against this)
-$10 for teams traveling more than 150 miles to attend (calculated using Google Maps from their school address to State High)

Regardless of discounts, a school's minimum fee stands at $45 dollars.

Please bring payment the morning of the tournament in the form of cash or checks payable to "SCASD Activities Fund".

Lunch!
The high school has a couple restaurants right next door and Downtown State College is a five-minute drive or twenty-minute walk from the high school with many lunch options. We may also offer lunch on-site (pizza). We'll update teams more on the food situation as we get closer to tournament day.

Contact me at tns12@scasd.org if you have any questions. State High looks forward to seeing you in December!
Last edited by madk3p on Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taran Samarth
Captain/President/Emperor, State College Area High School '19

madk3p
Kimahri

Re: State College Invitational (12/8/18) [CAST]

Post by madk3p » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:04 pm

Field Update (teams/buzzers/moderators):
Taran Samarth
Captain/President/Emperor, State College Area High School '19