UMD Fall at Duke University (Sep 30, 2017)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Bensonfan23
Wakka

UMD Fall at Duke University (Sep 30, 2017)

Post by Bensonfan23 »

Duke University’s Quiz Bowl team is excited to announce that it will be hosting a mirror of the 2017 Maryland Fall set on September 30, 2017. I will be the tournament director for this tournament. The question set played at this tournament is being head-edited by Jordan Brownstein, the head editor of the 2016 PACE NSC. For further details about the set, see this thread.

Location and Time:
This tournament will be held in the Carr Building on Duke University’s East Campus in Durham, North Carolina. The opening meeting will be at 8:30 and rounds will start as close to 9am as possible. The Opening Meeting will be held in Carr 103. See “Parking Information” below for parking recommendations.

Field Size:
This tournament’s field will have a field cap of 24 teams. This cap will unfortunately not increase any further. Once the cap is met, I will keep a waitlist. Also, since the field cap is somewhat small, schools attempting to register more than 3 teams will be restricted to singing up 3 teams until September 16, with additional teams being placed on the waitlist. If the field isn't full by the 16th, then teams on the waitlist will automatically be placed into the field in order of registration.

Cost:
The cost of this tournament will be $75 per team.

Discounts:
Buzzer systems: $-5 per buzzer system
Experienced Staffer Discount: -$10 per staffer.
Travel: -$10 per 150 miles travelled 1 way (your school to Duke, as per Google Maps) Discounts applied to “A” team until to minimum fee is reached.
Minimum Total Cost: $50 per team.
New to Quizbowl: -$15 per team if school hasn’t played pyramidal Quizbowl since September 2014.

Payment:
Please make checks out to “Duke University”, and bring checks with you the morning of the tournament. Anyone with inquiries regarding payment information shouldn't hesitate to contact Ryan Humphrey with these questions in advance of the tournament.

Registration & my Contact Information:
To register, please contact me at the email below. Please include: (1) your expected number of teams, (2) the discounts you expect to claim, and (3) the names of the moderators you're bringing, if you’re bringing any.

My email: [email protected]

Parking Information:

Please note that this tournament will take place on Duke’s East Campus. The Carr Building is directly off of the main bus loop for East Campus, so dropping teams off in front of this building and then parking should be very straightforward. As for parking options, the visitors lots at Smith Warehouse and the on-street parking and parking lots along Broad Street or 9th Street are likely the best and cheapest options, since parking on this campus is somewhat limited. Please note that the visitors lots on West Campus are quite far from East Campus, and won’t be the best option.

Lunch/Food Options:
A list of restaurants will be provided on the day of the tournament, but please note that we will not be selling/providing food for teams. There are several restaurants, however, that are easily within walking/driving distance on 9th Street and (to a lesser extent) along Hillsborough Road or in downtown Durham. Dining options on Duke’s West Campus are available, but parking may be troublesome, so this isn't ideal.

Questions:
If anyone has any questions about this tournament, feel free to either post them here or email them to me, and I will respond as soon as possible.

We look forward to seeing everyone in Durham on September 30th!

Field: 18/18
Cookeville: (TN) A,B
Raleigh Charter: A, B, C, D
Thomas Jefferson Classical Academy: A
Dunbar (Ky): A, B
Early College at Guilford: A, B, C
East Chapel Hill: A, B
Enloe High School: A
NCSSM: A
Cave Spring(Va): A, B
Last edited by Bensonfan23 on Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:44 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Ryan Humphrey
UT Austin (Cell & Developmental PhD Program, 2018-?)
Duke University (Biology and History, Class of 2018)
George Washington High School (Charleston, WV, Class of 2014)
Former PACE Member (2017-2019)
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Re: UMD Fall at Duke University (Sep 30, 2017)

Post by Bensonfan23 »

Teams may be interested to know that the field cap for this tournament has now been increased from 18 to 24. Teams interested in registering should contact me at my email address listed above in the announcement.

EDIT: The field will still be capped at 18 after all, after which a waitlist will be kept. The expansion to 24 will occur if the waitlist reaches 6 teams, but unfortunately can't occur with any fewer. I apologize for this, but its necessary due to our somewhat awkward room reservations.
Last edited by Bensonfan23 on Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan Humphrey
SHM
Lulu

Post by SHM »

Ryan,
Paul Laurence Dunbar would like to bring two teams.
Susan Magedanz@PLD
Susan, Dunbar
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

This tournament happened yesterday! After nine rounds of prelims and playoffs, the tournament ended with an exciting two-game final in which Guilford A overcame a disadvantage to defeat East Chapel Hill B in back-to-back games (both coming down to tossup 20!) to win Duke's mirror of Maryland Fall 2017.

Full stats for this tournament can be found: Here

The Top 6 Teams were (in order):
Guilford A
East Chapel Hill B
Dunbar A
Cave Spring A
East Chapel Hill A
Raleigh Charter B

Vincent from East Chapel Hill B was the top scorer in the field after the prelims with 101.11 ppg, Billy from Cave Spring A and Angus from Dunbar were in 2nd and 3rd.

Thanks to all of the players and coaches that traveled to Durham to attend our tournament yesterday, and to all of the staffers that helped it run so smoothly! We hope to see everyone back at our future tournaments.
Ryan Humphrey