NAQT Kentucky State Championship (3/4/2017 at WKU)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
mriggle
Lulu

NAQT Kentucky State Championship (3/4/2017 at WKU)

Post by mriggle »

On behalf of the Kentucky Quiz Bowl Alliance, I am happy to announce that the NAQT Kentucky State Championship Tournament will take place on March 4, 2017. The tournament will take place on the campus of Western Kentucky University in Bowling Green, and will be run by members of our team along with other KQBA members. I will serve as the tournament director and primary contact person for the event.

The tournament will follow standard NAQT format/timing rules, and will be using IS-160. Any high school team from the state of Kentucky is allowed to compete at this tournament, provided that you have not already been exposed to the question set.

Location and Time:
Nearly all of our past tournaments have taken place in Cherry Hall, and there is a good chance that will remain true for this one. I will update this area once we determine the location for certain.

Regarding time, we would like teams to arrive between 8:00 and 8:45 AM. Our opening meeting will occur at 8:45 or immediately following the arrival of all teams, whichever comes first. Round 1 will begin no later than 9:00 AM, probably 5-10 minutes after the opening meeting begins. Please note that Bowling Green is located in the Central Time Zone, so make plans accordingly. Lunch will occur at roughly noon, probably after Round 5.

Field Size:
In the interest of allowing as many schools as possible to compete in the event, schools will be restricted to two teams per school until roughly two weeks before the event. Teams may place their C (and D, E, etc., as needed) teams on a waitlist, and starting on February 20, waitlisted teams will be contacted in order as space/staff allows. The field will be capped at 20 teams right now, but the cap will likely rise as we secure rooms and staffers.

Base fee: $70 for a school's first team
$60 for each subsequent team

Discounts:
Buzzers: -$5 per working system
Moderator: -$10 per moderator (please let us know)
Travel: -$10 per 150 miles (one way)
Minimum fee: $40 per team

Any teams new to quizbowl (defined as not having competed in any pyramidal quiz bowl tournament (e.g., a tournament run on NAQT questions, or any tournament using pyramidal tossups and three-part bonuses) between September 1, 2013 and January 1, 2017) automatically qualifies for the minimum fee of $40 per team.

Payment:
We will accept either cash or check on the morning of the tournament. Further instructions (along with an invoice) will be given upon registration.

We will be using NAQT's online registration, so once that has been set up, I will provide the link here. The process should be fairly straightforward, but any questions may be directed to [email protected]

Register here

Any other questions may be posted in this thread, or you can shoot us an email. We look forward to seeing everyone on March 4th!
Matthew Riggle
Pope John Paul II Catholic High School (Huntsville, Alabama): 2008-2012
Western Kentucky University: 2012-present
mriggle
Lulu

Re: NAQT Kentucky State Championship (3/4/2017 at WKU)

Post by mriggle »

The stats through the 7 preliminary rounds can be viewed here.
Matthew Riggle
mriggle
Lulu

Re: NAQT Kentucky State Championship (3/4/2017 at WKU)

Post by mriggle »

Congratulations to Henderson County A, who defeated Woodford County A twice in an advantaged final to win the state championship! Dunbar A finished third.

Also, congratulations to the co-top scorers, Daniel McAllister of Danville and Seth Allen of Woodford County, who each had 90.71 PPG during the 7 prelim rounds.

Playoff stats can be viewed here, and combined stats for the day can be viewed here.

Thanks again to everyone who came out to play or staff the event! I had a lot of fun, and I hope everyone else did as well!
Matthew Riggle