East Brunswick NAQT Funfest @ East Brunswick HS (11 February

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
D is for Derek
Kimahri

East Brunswick NAQT Funfest @ East Brunswick HS (11 February

Post by D is for Derek »

Hello everyone! We are pleased to announce the second annual East Brunswick NAQT Funfest, which will occur on February 11, 2017. It will be using the standard Invitational Series packets, specifically IS-162.

Logistics

The tournament will occur at East Brunswick High School, 380 Cranbury Road, East Brunswick, New Jersey in the Cafeteria. Registration will open at 7:45 and the moderator meeting will occur at 8:45, with the first matches starting at approximately 9 am.

The tentative structure of the schedule will be: Prelims will be 6 brackets of 6. Each team playing each other team for a total of 5 morning rounds. The top 2 teams in each bracket (based on record) make the 2 playoff brackets, the other 24 teams re-arranged into 4 consolation brackets. Playoff/Consolations will consist of 5 rounds. The top 2 in each playoff bracket will play a super playoff (i.e #1 from bracket A v #2 from bracket B and vice versa). Winners play for the championship, losers for 3rd place). This may change depending on the total number of teams attending.

Packets will be standard 20/20 with powers and without computational math tossups; comp math bonuses, however, will be played. Trophies will be awarded to the top 3 teams and book prizes will awarded to the top 10 scorers. Teams are offered a minimum of 9 rounds and teams are required to stay and compete in all rounds regardless of prelim results

Teams are standard NAQT teams of up to 6 players, only 4 of which may be playing at once. Players may not switch between teams at any point in the tournament.

Live statistics will be posted on a neg5.org page during the tournament.

This is all tentative and is subject to change if the field size changes.

Lunch

This information is in the registration form, so I apologize for the redundancy (and for all other instances of redundancy): If your team is interested in ordering pizza, that will be handled through us on the day of. Please mark your interest in pizza on the form.

If you do not feel like ordering pizza, there are a few great options within a 5-10 minute walk from the High School: Chipotle, Smashburger, Sarku Japan, Musclemaker Grill, and Halal Guys. There is also a Five Below for snacks.

Registration and Fees

The costs are:
$80 / first team
$60 / every additional team
$50 minimum fee/ team

The following are our discounts:
- $15 / experienced moderator with laptop for the purpose of electronic scorekeeping
- $10/ experienced moderator without laptop
- $5 / buzzer set

Please bring cash or a check written out to East Brunswick High School on the day of the competition.

To register, fill out the following form: https://goo.gl/forms/Ez7KTqeSnnNQe1v73

SEE BELOW FOR FIELD UPDATES!!

If you have any questions, email us at [email protected] or message us on facebook (Derek Kuldinow or Alice Zhang) and we hope to see you in February!
Last edited by D is for Derek on Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Derek Kuldinow
East Brunswick Academic Team
2016-2017
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: East Brunswick NAQT Funfest @ East Brunswick HS (11 Febr

Post by Important Bird Area »

D is for Derek wrote:Hello everyone! We are pleased to announce the second annual East Brunswick NAQT Funfest, which will occur on February 11, 2017. It will be using the standard Invitational Series packets.
Specifically, this will be Invitational Series #162.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
D is for Derek
Kimahri

Post by D is for Derek »

NOTICE FOR ALL TEAMS SIGNED UP FOR THE FUNFEST

This tournament will be running IS-162, therefore we ask that all teams that attended KPAQT VII not attend, as this tournament also used IS-162. Any teams that attended any other tournaments using IS-162 should also be excluded from this tournament. We apologize for the inconvenience.

I believe that so far this only affects MCA and Bridgewater-Raritan.
Derek Kuldinow
2016-2017
D is for Derek
Kimahri

Post by D is for Derek »

Current Field

St. Joseph's (2/0/0)
Mountain Lakes (2/2/0)
Charter School of Wilmington (2/0/3)
Livingston (3/0/0)
High Point Regional (2/1/1)
Jonathan Dayton High School (1/0/1)
Middletown High School North (1/1/0)
Middletown High School South (1/1/1)
Bard High School Early College Manhattan (1,0,0)
"North" (2,0,0)
Bergen County Academies (2,1,2)
Bridgewater-Raritan (1,1,0)
Stuyvesant (1,0,2)
MAST (3,1,0)
Millburn (2,0,1)
High Technology (3,0,3)
Morristown Beard (1,0,0)
Gotham (1,0,0)
Ranney (1,0,0)
Ithaca (1,0,0)
"Big Blue" (1,0,0)

Total: (34,8,14)

Note: Teams will now be guaranteed 9 games. The top 5 will qualify for HSNCT, and the top 9 will qualify for PACE Nationals!
Last edited by D is for Derek on Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Derek Kuldinow
2016-2017
agaz44
Kimahri

Post by agaz44 »

Update: we are now a PACE platinum certified tournament, meaning that teams placing in the top 25% of the field will qualify for PACE NSC
Alice Zhang
East Brunswick HS '17
Martin-Baker Mk.5
Lulu

Post by Martin-Baker Mk.5 »

I see on naqt.com that Stuyvesant has played the set... I'm assuming you have cleared this with them, but just wanted to be sure.
Isaiah Gutman
Ithaca High '19