Kentucky NAQT State Championship, Louisville, KY (3/5/16)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Kentucky NAQT State Championship, Louisville, KY (3/5/16)

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

The Kentucky Quizbowl Alliance is pleased to present the 2016 edition of the Kentucky NAQT State Championship, this year hosted on the campus of the University of Louisville on March 5, 2016. I, Nick Conder, will be serving at tournament director for this event, with assistance from other members of KQBA and the UofL Quizbowl team.

Parking: More information will be provided shortly before the tournament.

Tournament Structure: This tournament will have a tentative cap of 24 teams, and therefore schools will be limited to registering their A and B teams until February 20. After that date, teams may register any additional teams. Depending on how many staffers are committed, the field size might increase with demand. Games will be the standard untimed NAQT format (two halves of 10 tossups each, bonuses as necessary, powers and negs in effect). The tournament itself will use a similar format to past NAQT state tournaments at Louisville and WKU, with round robin preliminary and playoff pools and teams expected to play approximately 9 or 10 games.

Fee Structure:
$80 per team
$10 discount per competent moderator provided (competent defined as somebody who can read one round of NAQT IS-set questions in 30 minutes or less)
$10 discount per working buzzer system
There is a minimum fee of $40. Teams who have never played a pyramidal quizbowl tournament automatically qualify for the minimum fee.

Checks should be made out to the Kentucky Quizbowl Alliance. Please note that this is distinct from "Kentucky Quizbowl," which is the quizbowl team at the University of Kentucky. If you cannot procure a check actually addressed to KQBA, cash will be accepted as well.

A few other things worth noting: there are several eating establishments (McDonalds, Taco Bell, the student center with a Wendy's, Chick-Fil-A, and Papa John's in it, Qdoba, Jimmy Johns, Home Run Burgers, and more) within walking distance of the Humanities Building. Staffers will be served pizza and drinks at lunch time. There will be trophies for the top four teams, and book prizes for the top scoring players.

Registration will be opened in a few days, tentative interest can be offered here, but there will likely be an electronic registration process once I get the details worked out. I look forward to seeing Kentucky's quizbowl teams on March 5!
Last edited by Rococo A Go Go on Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Re: Kentucky NAQT State Championship, Louisville, KY (3/5/16

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

You may now register for this tournament here. If you have an NAQT account already, just log in and go through the registration process. If you do not have an account, it's a short process to create one. Remember to note how many buzzers and moderators you are bringing, so that we can provide correct invoices.

I said I wasn't going to keep a list of interested and registered teams, but I changed my mind:

Field
Adair County A
Adair County B
Atherton
Ballard A
Ballard B
Bullitt Central
Campbell County A
Campbell County B
Danville
Dunbar
Eastern A
Eastern B
Gatton Academy
Manual A
Manual B
Pleasure Ridge Park
Shelby Valley A
Shelby Valley B
Simon Kenton
St. Francis
Trinity A
Trinity B
Woodford County A
Woodford County B

Expressed Interest
Madisonville-North Hopkins
Last edited by Rococo A Go Go on Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

With a month to go until the tournament, the field for NAQT State is already half full! Be sure to get your registrations in soon.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

The field is still half full for this tournament. Starting Saturday, schools may register as many teams as they want, so if people are waiting to register C teams and beyond you may do so then. You may register or view the field here: https://www.naqt.com/registration/field ... nt_id=7062

I will also be sending out invoices to registered teams early next week.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

The field is near full. There are 20 teams currently registered and I have heard from a few more. If you want a spot in the field, be sure to register soon.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

The field is now full. Teams may still join the waitlist and hope that somebody drops between now and Saturday, but there are no guarantees. If registered teams are currently planning to drop, please let me know.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Congratulations to Woodford County A for winning the 2016 Kentucky NAQT State Championship! Woodford County defeated DuPont Manual A in the final to complete an undefeated 12-0 victory in today's tournament. Dunbar A finished 3rd.

Thanks to all the team for coming and all the people who helped staff! Statistics for this tournament can be viewed here.
Nicholas C
KQBA member