East Brunswick NAQT Funfest @ East Brunswick HS (2/27/16)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Votre Kickstarter Est Nul
Rikku

East Brunswick NAQT Funfest @ East Brunswick HS (2/27/16)

Post by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul »

Hello everyone! I am pleased to be announcing the first ever edition of the East Brunswick NAQT Funfest, which will occur on February 27, 2016. It will be using the 2015 Small School National Championship Set (roughly equivalent to an IS set according to NAQT)

Logistics

The tournament will occur at East Brunswick High School in East Brunswick, New Jersey. Registration will open at 7:45 and the moderator meeting will occur at 8:45, with the first matches starting at approximately 9 am.

The tentative structure of the schedule, barring an expansion, will be: Prelims will be 5 brackets of 6; The top 2 in each bracket make the 2 5 team playoff brackets, the other 20 teams re-arranged into 4 consolation bracket. The top 2 in each playoff bracket will play a super playoff (i.e #1 from bracket A v #2 from bracket B and vice versa; Winners play for the championship, losers for 3rd place). Third place in each playoff bracket plays will play for fifth to determine the final qualifier for 2016 HSNCT. 4th in each bracket can play a game if they want but both 4th place teams make 2016 PACE NSC.
This is all tentative and is subject to change if the field size expands.

Lunch

This information is in the registration form, so I apologize for the redundancy (and for all other instances of redundancy): If your team is interested in ordering pizza, that will be handled through us on the day of. Please mark your interest in pizza on the form.

If you do not feel like ordering pizza, there are a few great options within a 5-10 minute walk from the High School: Chipotle, Smashburger, Sarku Japan, and Musclemaker Grill. There is also a Five Below for snacks.

Registration and Fees

The costs are:
$80 / first team
$60 / every additional team
$50 minimum fee/ team

The following are our discounts:
- $15 / experienced moderator with laptop for the purpose of electronic scorekeeping
- $10/ experienced moderator without laptop
- $5 / buzzer set

Please bring a check written out to East Brunswick High School on the day of the competition.

To register, fill out the following form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1dcgXw5 ... =send_form

The current field size is 30 teams, with an initial maximum of 3 teams per school; However, based on interest we will expand as necessary.

Current field (teams/moderators/buzzers)(will be updated routinely):
Hunter College High School (2/0/2)
St. Josephs Metuchen (2/0/2)
Mountain Lakes (1/1/1)
PRISMS (2/0/1)
Middlesex County Academy (3/0/1)
Morristown-Beard (1/0/0)
North Babylon (1/0/3)
Jonathan Dayton (1/0/1)
Middletown South (1/2/1)
Livingston (4/1/1)
Leonia (2/0/0)
High Tech (2/0/4)
Ridgewood (2/0/1)
High Point (2/1/0)
Moravian Academy (1/0/0)
Millburn (2/0/1)
House
Total: (30/5/18)

If you have any questions, email me at [email protected] or message me on facebook (Wobbuffemmett Laurie) and I hope to see you in February!
Last edited by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul on Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:06 pm, edited 23 times in total.
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
Rikku

Re: East Brunswick NAQT Funfest @ East Brunswick HS (2/27/16

I'm happy to announce that the East Brunswick NAQT Funfest has officially been awarded PACE platinum certification (i.e the top 25% of the teams will qualify for 2016 PACE NSC).

For more information about qualification for PACE NSC, see here: http://www.pace-nsc.org/2016-nsc-team-q ... uidelines/

f you have any questions contact PACE or myself :)
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
Rikku

The field is now 2/3 full! We can hopefully expand given enough moderators but since thats not ensured make sure to sign up if you want to come :)
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
Rikku

We are excited to be expanding to 30 teams because of staffing availability. Please continue to try and provide moderators and buzzers sets though they always help :) This now means the top 5 teams will qualify for 2016 HSNCT and the top 8 will qualify for 2016 PACE NSC.

On a related note, we are at 24 teams (with 2 on the waitlist as additional teams) and are thus 80% full so please get your registrations in ASAP. Hope to see you there :D
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
Rikku

We are now at capacity at 30 teams :) however further expansion is not impossible and things happen so keep signing up in case room opens. As always, expansion becomes a lot more feasible if teams provide moderators so please provide them. Thanks to all the teams that have signed up so far for being so quick in filling our field you're making my life very easy :D
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
luke1865
Lulu

Post by luke1865 »

Spuyten Duyvil is interested in potentiallly attending this tournament
Luke Tierney
2016 HSNCT Championship Team Member
NHBB JV National MVP, 2015
2015 International History Olympiad JV World Champion
Chairman of the Spuyten Duyvil Academic Quiz Federation
deviziak
Lulu

Post by deviziak »

Delaware Valley may be interested in bringing two teams, a moderator, and buzzer systems if space opens up. Let us know, we'll watch.
Kevin DeVizia
Delaware Valley High School
Milford, PA
Rikku

Congratulations to Livingston A for defeating Millburn B 450-235 in the final to win the inaugural Funfest! Also, congrats to Hunter A who defeated High Tech A 380-360 to take third place!

Stats can be found here. We are currently working on converting them to sqbs files for database reasons:
Prelims: http://neg5.org/t/E1Nk3K9ie/stats/team
Playoffs: http://neg5.org/t/4JCbmCcig/stats/team
Crossovers: http://neg5.org/t/41Na5Gsse/stats/team

Hopefully everyone had fun. It was a hectic day but nonetheless hopefully a fun one. Hopefully we'll see some of the teams and players in May :)
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
Antrobus63
Wakka

Post by Antrobus63 »

Hi Guys,
Is the May 14 tournament still happening? When I tried to click on it to check the field... it was not available.
Peter Schmidt
Columbia '84, Yale '88
Coach, Moravian Academy History Bowl 2020-23
Lehigh Valley Academy 2016-18
Pennsylvania NASAT '15, ‘18, ‘22, '23
Owner and Teacher, Prepare Test Preparation
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Just the usual "a user's first seven posts must be approved by a forum moderator to deter spam" issue.

The field is here.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred