Washington NAQT Championship - UW - 4/18/2015

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Washington NAQT Championship - UW - 4/18/2015

Post by Mike Bentley »

Hi everyone, the Quizbowl Team at UW will be hosting the NAQT State Quizbowl Championship on Saturday, April 18th at our campus in Seattle, WA. This tournament is open to all high school teams in Washington state--there is no need to qualify at a separate tournament. You're also free to bring multiple teams from one school.

The top few teams at the tournament will qualify for the PACE NSC and NAQT HSNCT high school national championship tournaments in late May / early June (although since it's late in the year it's possible these tournaments may be full by then).

This tournament will be played on a TBD NAQT IS set. This tournament is in the quizbowl format of tossup / bonus questions. Rules can be found at https://www.naqt.com/rules.html (note that we will not be doing timed rounds).

We'll also have trophies for the top two quizbowl teams in Washington.

Registration fees for this tournament are as follows:
$50 - Base fee per team
-$10 - Discount for an additional team from one school (you can bring as many teams as you'd like--teams have up to 4 players playing at one time--you don't need to have a full 4 player team to field a squad)
-$5 - Buzzer discount per school
-$5 - Discount per team for coming from over 100 miles one-way or taking a ferry
-$20 - Discount per team if it's the school's first quizbowl tournament
Minimum fee per team: $30

To register, please e-mail tournament director Mike Bentley at [email protected]. Let me know the name of your school, how many teams you're bringing, and whether you qualify for any discounts. Registration deadline is Thursday, 4/16.

Day-Of Logistics:
Teams should meet in Room 209 in Denny Hall at the UW campus between 9-9:15 AM on Saturday morning. You can park in lots N2, N5 or N1 for $5 on Saturday. Teams should get their own breakfast before the tournament. We will have a lunch break around 12 PM where you can purchase food from the Ave. We expect the tournament to be done around 3 for most teams, but do not make plans that require you to leave Seattle before 4 PM in case anything goes wrong. Please respect your fellow teams and only sign up for this tournament if you plan to stay the entire time. I will send out more details as we get closer to the tournament date.

Thanks,
Mike Bentley
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at UW
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: Washington NAQT Championship - UW - 4/18/2015

Post by Important Bird Area »

Mike Bentley wrote:This tournament will be played on a TBD NAQT IS set.
This will be IS #146.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred