NCIS IV (4/5/14) @ Cave Spring HS (Roanoke, VA)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
kamikaze
Rikku

NCIS IV (4/5/14) @ Cave Spring HS (Roanoke, VA)

Post by kamikaze »

The Cave Spring High School Academic Team is happy to announce our spring tournament being held at our school (3712 Chapparal Dr., Roanoke, VA, 24018) on April 5th, 2014. The NCIS IV (Nerdy Competition In Style or Nerds Competing in Style) will be a vendor set and is scheduled the week before VHSL States. We're hoping that this tournament will serve as 1) a VHSL season ender for schools in our region; and 2) practice for VHSL States for teams that have qualified for the tournament. We are hoping that winter weather won't be too bad that weekend but if so, we'll postpone to a later weekend.

AFFILIATION: PACE and NAQT. With NAQT, the top 15% of the field will qualify for the national tournament being held later this year in Chicago, Illinois. 

We are in the process of securing PACE affiliation.

QUESTIONS: We’ve secured IS-134 from NAQT for this tournament. If you played on this packet elsewhere, it is suggested that you not attend this tournament. The tournament format will be 20 tossup questions with 20 unrelated bonus questions. No bouncebacks on the bonus. No math calculation tossups will be read in the match.

FORMAT: Our field cap is around 18 but we reserve the right to expand the field should we find enough moderators. Each round will be 20 questions with 20 bonus questions, untimed. We're trying to guarantee at least eight rounds of competition but depending on the field and what the majority of teams want, we can try to accommodate by doing more rounds. Trophies will be given to the top three teams and we usually award the top ten individuals with some sort of prize. Neg King/Queen award is also available. 

REGISTRATION AND FEES:
-The fee structure is as follows:

Base fee: $70 per team. There is no limit to the number of teams who can attend from one school.

Buzzer discount: $5 off school's total fee for each fully functional system (control box and eight activators all work)-no limit to # of systems you can bring

Early registration: $5 off if you commit a month before the tournament date (March 15, 2014)

New team discount: Teams that have never been to the CSI or NCIS may receive a 50% discount on their first team registered (any additional teams from that school have to be brought in at full price).

TEAM & ROSTER SIZE: There may be a maximum of six players on one team's roster, up to four of whom may play at one time. There will be no exceptions to this rule. If you bring more than six players, you must register a second team to have all of them play. There is a halftime substitution opportunity in each game. Each player may appear on only one team's roster throughout the day-no switching from the B team to the A team, etc. Teams may also play shorthanded with only three players.

FOOD: As always, we will provide a simple breakfast, free of charge. We have been providing a simple lunch consisting of pizza, fruit, chips and a drink for lunch at a reasonable price. 

If you have any questions or wish to register, feel free to contact Bob Powers at [email protected] or at (540) 772-7550. We look forward to seeing you all here and hope for some good weather that weekend.

REGISTERED TEAMS (7/7):
Blacksburg, 2 teams, 3 buzzers
Rappahannock County, 1 team, 1 buzzers
North Cross, 1 teams
Piedmont Gov School, 1 team, 1 buzzers
East Mont (sort of), 1 team
Rockbridge County, 1 team, 2 buzzers
Last edited by kamikaze on Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:41 pm, edited 24 times in total.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
(2022 - ?) Tournament Director, Blacksburg HS
(2021 - 2022) Scholastic Bowl coach, Eastern Montgomery HS
(2005 - 2020) Scholastic Bowl coach, Cave Spring HS
kamikaze
Rikku

Re: NCIS IV (2/15/14) @ Cave Spring HS (Roanoke, VA)

Post by kamikaze »

Just got the word that this tournament has received Platinum certification from PACE so the top 25% of the teams in this field will qualify for NSC at the end of this season.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
fett0001
Tidus

Post by fett0001 »

VT should be able to bring some staffers.
Mike Hundley
PACE Member
Virginia Tech
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

fett0001 wrote:VT should be able to bring some staffers.
Cool, cool, cool.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
Skr121
Lulu

Post by Skr121 »

What time do we show up?
-Benny Perez
Mountain Vista Governor's School
"We can't have full knowledge all at once. We must start by believing; then afterwards, we may be led on to master the evidence for ourselves." -St. Thomas Aquinas
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

Skr121 wrote:What time do we show up?
We'd like teams to show up between 8:30 and 9, with the first round going off shortly thereafter. The sooner you get here, the better your chances of enjoying a complimentary breakfast. I'll be sending out more specifics about the tournament later today to all the contact people involved.

I will also say that even with the bad weather looming for today and tomorrow, the weather on Saturday seems to be perfectly OK so the tournament is still on. However, I understand if some schools can not make it because they'll be dealing with snow-mageddon so I'll be sending out an e-mail to all the registered teams on Friday afternoon with the final decision. It'll be based on whether the roads and parking lot is cleared as well as if a majority of the teams are still able to attend.

Also, last call on anybody else that wants to sign up for this tournament.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

This tournament has been postponed due to inclement weather. Unfortunately, the snow plows won't be able to get to our parking lot by Saturday. We are looking at March 8th (a SAT date, I know) or April 5th as a possible date for this tournament. I'll update this page once I have a date decided upon. Sorry for the inconvenience and best of luck with your season.
Last edited by kamikaze on Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
fett0001
Tidus

Post by fett0001 »

VT's running the Dan Goff Memorial on 3/8.
Mike Hundley
PACE Member
Virginia Tech
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

fett0001 wrote:VT's running the Dan Goff Memorial on 3/8.
Got it. I have the building reserved for April 5th. Could the moderator adjusted the title accordingly to reflect the new date change?
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

kamikaze wrote:I have the building reserved for April 5th. Could the moderator adjusted the title accordingly to reflect the new date change?
Done.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
fett0001
Tidus

Re: NCIS IV (4/5/14) @ Cave Spring HS (Roanoke, VA)

Post by fett0001 »

It's a ways off, but I plan to bring staff.
Mike Hundley
PACE Member
Virginia Tech
mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

The tournament was small, but run well. A house team was added to fill in for a late drop from the field to keep the field at 8 teams. A full round robin was played followed by a split into top 4 teams and bottom 4 teams.

Blacksburg A was first with a 9-1 record (1 loss to Rappahanock Co. in the prelims)
Rappahannock Co. was 2nd at 8-2 (losses to Blacksburg A and House in the playoffs)
Rockbridge Co. was 3rd at 6-4
House was 4th
Blacksburg B was 5th

I know that stats were kept on SQBS as the tournament progressed, so I imagine Cave Spring will post stats soon.
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

Matt beat me to the results. I can confirm what he said about the outcome was indeed true. All prelim, playoff and combined stats are here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/2051/. Thanks for coming out everyone and congratulations again to Blacksburg A and Rappahannock County for qualifying for nationals.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School