TANKBATTLE I

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
MDUCK
Lulu

TANKBATTLE I

Post by MDUCK »

This is the general announcement for TANKBATTLE I (The Annual New Kent Beyond Awesome Tournament That’s Logically Excellent) This is a high school academic quizbowl tournament to be hosted by the quizbowl team of New Kent High School on Saturday, January 14th 2012 from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM. The tournament is open to any high school team that wishes to attend.

The tournament will take place at New Kent High School, in scenic New Kent County, Virginia located at 7365 Egypt Rd New Kent, Virginia 23124.

QUESTIONS: We will be using HSAPQ Tournament Set 23.

FORMAT: Our ideal tournament format is for the maximum 24 teams. Teams will be seeded to preliminary groupings before being reseeded based on record. All teams will be offered a minimum of 9 games. Trophies will be awarded to the top 3 teams, and book prizes will be awarded to the top 10 individual scorers.

REGISTRATION AND FEES:
-The fee structure is as follows:
Base fee: $70 per team. There is no limit to the number of teams who can attend from one school.
Buzzer discount: $5 off school's total fee for each fully functional system (control box and eight activators all work)-no limit to # of systems you can bring
Staff discount: $15 off school's total fee. This could be a coach, parent, student who is not playing, etc. Team-provided staffers will keep score for various games not involving the team with which they are affiliated. Volunteer staffers must stay through all the games (except finals) in order to receive credit for their school. There is no limit to the number of staffers you can bring.
Minimum fee: The minimum fee is $0 (you can bring enough buzzers and staffers to eliminate your entire fee via discounts, but you cannot have a "negative fee.")

-To register, e- mail me [email protected] with the number of teams, buzzers, and staffers you want to bring, and an email address where you can be contacted with further details. We are also requiring a cell phone contact number belonging to someone attending the tournament, so that we can track you down if you are running late. Feel free to share this announcement with any schools that you think would be interested in attending. There is no further registration form or other action needed on your part in order to be officially registered; you only need to e-mail me at the above address with the information requested. Posts made in this thread will not be considered official registrations; you must e-mail me.

METHOD OF PAYMENT: All teams must pay by the day of the tournament. We prefer to accept payment in person right before the tournament starts, but we will accept checks by mail ahead of time if your procedures require it. Teams who do not pay by the day of the tournament will be charged a $25 penalty and will have two weeks to pay their total amount before we start mailing letters to your school administration about it.

We can accept cash, or checks from school, school district, or quizbowl club funds. Please no personal checks. We have no ability to process purchase orders, credit cards, Paypal, or any other forms of payment. Bringing forms of payment outside of the three listed will be considered nonpayment and subject you to the $25 late payment penalty.

All checks should be made out to New Kent High School. If you require a pre-tournament invoice or W-9 tax form in order to have a check cut, let us know by January 7th so that we can send you the paperwork in time. If you do not let us know about this requirement by January 7th, and it causes you to come to the tournament without your payment, then you will be subject to the $25 late payment penalty.

TEAM & ROSTER SIZE: There may be a maximum of six players on one team's roster, up to four of whom may play at one time. There will be no exceptions to this rule. If you bring more than six players, you must register a second team to have all of them play. There is a halftime substitution opportunity in each game. Each player may appear on only one team's roster throughout the day-no switching from the B team to the A team, etc. Teams may also play shorthanded with only three players. Teams consisting of fewer than three players may not play without my express prior permission.

FOOD: Drinks, snacks, and lunch will be available for sale throughout the day at our school, since nothing is very close.
Directions and parking will be posted the week before the tournament.

Please e-mail me if you have any further questions. I'm looking forward to seeing a wide variety of teams from Virginia and surrounding states on January 14th

Field:
Douglas Freeman- 2 Teams
Nandua- 3 Teams
Varina- 1 Team
Benedictine- 1 Team
Collegiate- 1 Team
Cave Spring- 2 Teams
Last edited by MDUCK on Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
Matt Duckworth
Coach-New Kent High School
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Re: TANKBATTLE I

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

I just wanted to say that the idea of a non-GSAC non-VCU regular annual event in the Richmond area is quite the exciting development, and I will assist any way I can.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
MDUCK
Lulu

Post by MDUCK »

TANKBATTTLE is now affiliated with PACE and certified platinum! We're a month away and still have room in our field so please register!
Matt Duckworth
MDUCK
Lulu

Post by MDUCK »

Just over a week away here is an updated Field

Douglas Freeman- 2 Teams
Nandua- 3 Teams
Varina- 1 Team
Benedictine- 1 Team
Cave Spring- 2 Teams
Maggie Walker- 3 Teams
Quince Orchard- 1 Team
Deep Run- 1 Team
Richard Montgomery- 1 Team

We are going to cap the field at 16 so if you're planning on entering please try do so soon!
Matt Duckworth
MDUCK
Lulu

Post by MDUCK »

Running field:
Douglas Freeman- 2 Teams
Nandua- 3 Teams
Varina- 1 Team
Benedictine- 1 Team
Cave Spring- 1 Team
Maggie Walker- 3 Teams
Quince Orchard- 1 Team
Christiansburg- 1 Team
Richard Montgomery- 1 Team
St. Anslem's- 1 Team
Howard- 1 Team
Last edited by MDUCK on Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Matt Duckworth
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

Is the 8:30 starting time indicated in the first post the beginning of registration or the beginning of games?

Just wanted some clarification to see if we can slip in a little extra sleep before the drive down.
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
MDUCK
Lulu

Post by MDUCK »

Registration will open at 8:15 and we'll hope to get rounds started no later than 9am.
Matt Duckworth
MDUCK
Lulu

Post by MDUCK »

Due to a recent drop we now have one spot avaliable in the field so if you're interested please let me know!
Matt Duckworth
MDUCK
Lulu

Post by MDUCK »

Stats through the end of the prelims are available at http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... s/prelims/
Matt Duckworth
MDUCK
Lulu

Post by MDUCK »

Congratulations to St. Anslem's for their 1st place finish at TANKBATTLE. Christiansburg finished 2nd and Richard Montgomery finished 3rd. I'd like to express a great deal of thanks to Andrew Feist, George Berry, and John Gilbert who help moderate and ensure the tournament ran smoothly. Thank you to all the teams and coaches who came out over the holiday weekend. Final standings are as follows:

Champion- St. Anslem's
Runner-up- Christiansburg
3rd place- Richard Montgomery
4th place- Maggie Walker A
5th place- Maggie Walker B
6th place- Maggie Walker C
7th place- Freeman A
8th place- Nandua A
9th place- Cave Spring
10th place- Quince Orchard
11th place- Varina
12th place- Howard
13th place- House
14th place- Nandua B
15th place- Freeman B
16th place- Nandua C

Final stats can be found at: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... standings/
Matt Duckworth
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

This was a cool tournament. Thanks for hosting.

One note: as well as we played in the final, I don't think our bonus conversion was 31. Also, we and several other teams have a number of games with non-multiple-of-10 bonus points scored, so someone might want to take a look at that.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

A solo player seriously scored 168 points per game on this set? Shoot.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
sir negsalot
Wakka

Post by sir negsalot »

Well Matt from Christiansburg burst on to the scene today, he should be seen in the top 25 immediately. Congrats to him. Thanks to New Kent for running everything smoothly! The building was very nice and all the moderators were great. This set from HSAPQ was fantastic, as it had literally no noticable flaws.
Daniel Galitsky
Richard Montgomery HS-2012
University of Maryland-2016
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

sir negsalot wrote:This set from HSAPQ was fantastic, as it had literally no noticable flaws.
I would contest this. The set was mostly good, but there were a number of answers that were too hard, and a number of repeats (including two tossups on the same thing in the final round). This set seemed like it was a little more of a rush-job than past HSAPQ sets, but it was still good.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
Auron

Apparently this is the last HSAPQ set being produced this year. So, if we use it at Rider Bowl III, i apologize to St. Anselm's in particular who i guess won't be able to make it.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

The last two years HSAPQ has made additional sets out of their VHSL material. I don't know if they will do that this year or not. Matt Moschella and Christiansburg are quite good, in case people on the national scene have not noticed. I read that this was Cave Spring's B team on Bob Powers facebook note. They sent their A team to a tourney in West Virginia this weekend.
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
Auron

mithokie wrote:The last two years HSAPQ has made additional sets out of their VHSL material. I don't know if they will do that this year or not.
Through the grapevine, no, this is apparently not happening this year. An HSAPQ representative can say it for sure. I would have liked to have known this earlier, as we were predicating our tournament based on this trend that had happened for two years.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

List of villages in West Virginia wrote:
mithokie wrote:The last two years HSAPQ has made additional sets out of their VHSL material. I don't know if they will do that this year or not.
Through the grapevine, no, this is apparently not happening this year. An HSAPQ representative can say it for sure. I would have liked to have known this earlier, as we were predicating our tournament based on this trend that had happened for two years.
As always, those looking for official answers about HSAPQ can contact me at [email protected] to get reliable, non-rumor-mill-information.

A decision will be made by tomorrow regarding how many and what kind of sets will be available from converted VHSL questions. It is looking like at least one such set will be created.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org